When you score an awesome piece of vintage, you are scoring yourself your own little slice of history.
Most likely a handful of epic stories have embedded themselves deep within the threads of your new favourite ovies... And with stories, come battle wounds....and chances are, like most of us, your piece is neither perfect or pristine... However this is exactly what we cherish most!
Knowing how to care for your new vintage threads will ensure your piece will last to see the many radical adventures you, )and future wildings to come) seek to find!
JOEY RAINBOW VINTAGE KIDS CARE GUIDE...
We want you to get the most out of your vintage threads... The longer they last, the more stories they gather, and the less we contribute to landfill. (win...win!!!)
There are plenty of eco-friendly ways to keep your radical adventure threads in tip top condition. Take a look at our basic suggestions to ensure your threads can be enjoyed time and time again.
WASHING YOUR VINTAGE CLOTHES
LESS IS MORE PEOPLE!!!! Repeated washing damages the fibres of clothing, increases your energy bill and has a negative impact on the environment. 1/4 of the carbon footprint from the fashion industry is from consumers washing and drying their clothes!!! Heres a few tips:
- Unless your threads are dirty you can simply brush them clean and spot wash them to remove small stains, turn them inside out and air dry them. Humidity will remove odour and help to keep threads fresh without any damage to the environment...
- Of course.... thats one thing when you're an adult but we all know our lil minis know how to ensure they are covered head to toe in grub by the end of the day so most often then not washing will be necessary! A few ways to minimise your impact are as follows...
- Where possible choose to wash at 30 degrees, use gentle cycles or lightly spot clean stains prior to gentle machine wash where necessary.
- If you think a fabric might be too delicate for the machine... IT IS!!! Its probably best to avoid washing pre 1960s vintage, any pieces crafted from delicate fabric, or knitted garments where possible.
- Follow any washing instructions that may be fixed to the garment, If you are unsure you can always search how to best look after particular fabric types.
- ALWAYS air dry your threads... Tumble dryers use a lot of energy and can damage fabric fibres decreasing the life of your garment.
MAINTAINING YOUR VINTAGE CLOTHES
If you fall over and graze your knee, you clean it up and pop a band aid on it?! The same goes with looking after your threads... Repair, Repair, Repair.... If you notice a hole, get onto it as soon as possible because chances are it will only get bigger!
Be creative! Sew, Crochet, Darn, Cover with a patch... It is these quirky nuances that are collected over years of radical adventure that give our threads life and tell a story! Perfectly awesome in their imperfections!
Lube your zippers - old vintage zippers need to be maintained with graphite pencil, vaseline or zipper lube to keep them gliding smoothly through your clothing.
Hang your threads on wooden on cloth covered hangers - metals hangs will leave rust stains and stretch marks which are very difficult to get rid of.
If you repair your threads as need be we extend the life of our threads which allows us pass them on through generations of wildlings to come!
RECYCLING YOUR VINTAGE THREADS
Obviously our lil mini humans grow out of their threads faster than the speed of light, however their are plenty of ways to make sure your fave vintage threads continue to live on rather then end up in landfill.
- SWAP!!! Pass on those epic OSH KOSH ovies to a friend or family. Attend clothes swaps!
- SELL!!! Car boot sales, Markets, Garage sales, Depop, eBay, Etsy... There are so many ways to give your garments a new home and make yourself a little bit of cash to score yourself another epic vintage find.
- DONATE!!! Give your clothing to charity shops and recycling organisations where someone can snag them and give them a new home and you can feel good about doing your part in helping out those less fortunate.
- UPCYCLE!!! If your still fit and your not quite ready to pass them on, Or they just need little bit of love to give them a new lease on life - try your hand at getting creative... there are loads of ways you can refresh I tired pair of jeans or denim jacket...
And last but not least... If you simple don't have the time to do any of the above....
SEND THEM BACK TO US AT JOEY RAINBOW, SCORE YOURSELF A 40% OFF DISCOUNT ON YOUR NEXT PURCHASE + LET US DO ALL THE HARD WORK FOR YOU!!!
CHECK OUT OUR JOEY REVIVAL PROJECT HERE